Whiplash is an injury to the neck muscles from rapid forward and backward motion caused by a trauma, like a car accident. It can cause acute neck pain as well as restricted spinal movement.
How Does a Chiropractor Diagnose a Whiplash Injury?
At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, we will evaluate your spine as a whole and determine if any other areas of your spine is affected.
We will then identify any areas of restricted joint motion, intervertebral disc injury, muscle spasm and ligament injury.
Our team will also analyze how you walk and take note of your posture and spinal alignment. These details will help us understand your body’s mechanics and how your spine works.
In addition to the evaluation of your spine, we may order an x-ray or an MRI to evaluate any degenerative changes that may have existed before your whiplash injury.
Stages of Whiplash Treatment
Our team will work on reducing neck inflammation using various therapy modalities (eg, ultrasound). Depending on your injury, we may use a gentle stretching and manual therapy technique like muscle energy therapy.
As your neck becomes less inflamed and the pain decreases, we will eventually perform a gentle spinal manipulation or other chiropractic techniques to restore normal motion to your neck’s facet joints.
Chiropractic Whiplash Treatments
Your treatment plan depends on the severity of your whiplash injury. The most common chiropractic technique is spinal manipulation. Some spinal manipulation techniques commonly used are:
- Flexion-distraction technique: This hands-on technique is a gentle, non-thrusting type of spinal manipulation to help treat herniated discs with or without arm pain. Your whiplash injury may have aggravated a bulging or herniated disc. We will use a slow pumping action on the disc instead of direct force to the spine.
- Instrument-assisted manipulation: This technique is another non-thrusting technique chiropractors often use. Using a specialized hand-held instrument, we willy apply force without thrusting into the spine. This type of manipulation is useful for older patients who have a degenerative joint syndrome.
- Specific spinal manipulation: At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, we will identify the spinal joints that are restricted or show abnormal motion. This technique will restore motion to the joint and will stimulate the nervous system to restore normal motion to the spine.
Depending on your injury, we may also use other therapies to help reduce neck inflammation caused by whiplash. Examples of other therapies we may implement include:
- Interferential electrical stimulation: This technique uses a low frequency electrical current to help stimulate muscles, which can ultimately reduce inflammation.
- Ultrasound: By increasing blood circulation, ultrasound can help decrease muscle spasms, stiffness, and pain in your neck. Ultrasound does this by sending sound waves deep into muscle tissues. This creates a gentle heat that increases circulation.
For over sixteen years, we’ve been treating patients suffering from whiplash. We treat the whole person, under one roof, and provide a convenient option for treatment. We’re often referred by primary care physicians or attorneys; however, no referral is ever needed! And, if you have auto insurance, all treatment is usually covered by your insurance company if you have a claim number.
Using our chiropractic techniques, we will help you increase your daily activities and quality of life. To schedule an appointment with us today, please click here!