What Is Integrative Medicine
Integrative medicine takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
The defining principles of integrative medicine are:
- The patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration
- Providers like, Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center use all healing sciences to facilitate the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive are used whenever possible.
- The care is personalized to best address the individual’s unique conditions, needs and circumstances.
Are integrative pain therapies right for you?
Most integrative therapies target both mind and body to help reduce pain. A good example is yoga, which quiets and relaxes the mind while stretching and strengthening the body. Practicing yoga might not directly relieve the source of your pain, but it can relax your body, loosen tense muscles, refresh your mind and mentally prepare you to better manage your discomfort.
Combined with conventional medicine, integrative approaches can help relieve pain and improve quality of life.
What conditions respond to integrative therapies?
Many integrative therapies can be successfully joined with conventional medicine to help relieve pain. Research has shown that integrative therapies can help people with cancer, persistent pain, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and many other conditions. Examples of common integrative practices include:
- Movement Therapy
- Herbal Medicine
- Music Therapy
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Nutritional Medicine
When to choose integrative therapies
There are several reasons to add appropriate integrative therapies to your pain treatment plan. Some of them include:
- To have more control: When you hurt, you want to take action. If your only source of pain relief is a prescription medication, the only action you can take is to wait for the next dose. Integrative therapies give you more strategies for pain relief, and they can be available when you need them.
- To help manage the side effects of your pain medications: Prescription pain relievers are often accompanied by side effects, such as drowsiness, nausea or constipation. Integrative therapies can help alleviate or decrease side effects.
- To address issues related to your pain: Pain will often affect your mood, and leave you feeling tense and tired. Integrative therapies can help you reverse those undesirable outcomes.
- Your health care professional recommends them: Many health care professionals are now combining integrative therapies with conventional medical therapies.
Why Choose Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center
At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, we use integrative therapies that address the whole person. Instead of just treating the symptoms of your pain or injury, we will treat your pain at the source. To discover what services we offer, please click here.
If you need more information or would like schedule an appointment with us, please click here!