Chronic pain is commonly defined as any pain which lasts more than 12 weeks. Whereas acute pain is a normal sensation which alerts us to recent workout, an injury or illness, chronic pain is one that persists, often for months or even longer.
At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, we know that chronic pain can be caused by several different factors including:
- Musculoskeletal Injury (involving the bones, muscles, or joints)
- Nervous System Dysfunction
- Chronic Diseases
- Autoimmune Disorders
Here are some of the most common causes affecting individuals today:
Chronic Back Pain
According to research , 84% of American adults experience chronic back pain at some point in their life. This pain often occurs in the lower back, and may be caused by an injury or develop progressively due to arthritis, osteoporosis, or normal wear-and-tear.
Back pain has become epidemic in the U.S., and is the leading cause of disability and lost productivity in the workplace. Common causes of chronic back pain include:
- Slipped disc, typically caused by twisting or lifting injuries
- Spinal stenosis involving the narrowing of the spinal canal and compression of nerves
- Compression fractures, commonly associated with osteoporosis
- Soft tissue damage caused by strain or trauma to back muscles, ligaments, or tendons
- Spinal fractures
- Structural deformities such as scoliosis
Studies have shown that 50% of the adult population reports headaches during the course of a year, while more than 90% reports a lifetime history of headaches.
A chronic headache is one which occurs for at least 15 days per month for no less than three consecutive months. The most common types of a chronic headache are:
- Tension headaches caused by stress, fatigue, or sleeping wrong
- Eye strain headaches caused when the eye muscles become strained
- Migraines caused by nervous system triggers
- Cluster headaches caused by the enlargement of blood vessels in the head
Chronic Joint Pain
Research indicates that joint pain is one of the leading types of chronic pain among Americans, affecting over 51 million adults. Joint pain is typically caused by injury, infection or advancing age.
Some of the more common types of chronic joint pain are:
- Osteoarthritis, common in the elderly and usually affecting the larger joints
- Rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune disorder which causes swelling od the joint spaces
- Repetitive motion injury, common in athletes and people who do repetitive physical activities
- Tendinitis caused by the inflammation of joint tendons
Chronic Nerve Pain
Studies show that Chronic nerve pain affects 1 out of 10 Americans. This occurs when the nerves are either compressed, damaged or exposed to drugs which strip their protective exterior coating.
Some of the more common examples of chronic nerve pain include:
- Sciatica, typically caused by nerve compression
- Diabetic neuropathy, often occurring in the hands or feet.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome, commonly associated with repetitive motion
Why Choose Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center
At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, we will treat your chronic pain at the source by creating a treatment plan specific to you. For more information regarding the services we offer, or to schedule a consultation, click here.