Your neck begins at the base of the skull and contains seven small vertebrae, your cervical spine. It supports the full weight of your head, which is on average about 12 pounds. While your neck can move your head in nearly every direction, this flexibility makes it very susceptible to pain and injury.
At Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center, our specialists can help treat your neck pain.
What Causes Neck Pain?
Injury and Accidents
A sudden forced movement of the head or neck in any direction and the resulting “rebound” in the opposite direction can injure the surrounding and supporting tissues of the neck and head. Muscles react by tightening and contracting, creating muscle fatigue, which can result in pain and stiffness.
Degenerative disorders such as osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease directly affect your neck and spine.
- Osteoarthritis causes progressive deterioration of cartilage. The body reacts by forming bone spurs that affect joint motion.
- Spinal stenosis causes the small nerve passageways in the vertebrae to narrow, compressing and trapping nerve roots.
- Degenerative disc disease can cause reduction in the elasticity of intervertebral discs. Over time, a disc may bulge or herniate, causing tingling, numbness, and pain that runs into the arm.
Poor posture, obesity, and weak abdominal muscles can cause your neck to bend forward, resulting in pain or stiffness. Stress and emotional tension can also cause your neck muscles to tighten and contract.
What to Expect at Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center
During your visit, one of our chiropractic specialists will conduct a physical and neurological exam to determine what treatment option is best for you and your neck pain.
To locate the source of your pain we will also ask you questions about your current symptoms and remedies you may have already tried.
- When did the pain start?
- What have you done for your neck pain?
- Does the pain radiate or travel to other parts of your body?
- Does anything reduce the pain or make it worse?
Neck Pain Chiropractic Treatment Techniques
Your Goodyear Chiropractor Health Center chiropractor may use a combination of spinal manipulation, manual therapy, and other techniques as part of your treatment plan for your neck pain.
Below are some spinal manipulation techniques we may use:
- Flexion-Distraction Technique is a gentle, hands-on spinal manipulation that involves a pumping action on the intervertebral disc instead of direct force.
- Instrument-Assisted Manipulation uses a hand-held instrument that allows your chiropractor to apply force without thrusting into the spine.
- Specific Spinal Manipulation helps restore joint movement using a gentle thrusting technique.
Your Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center specialist may also use manual therapies to treat your neck pain, including:
- Manual joint stretching and resistance techniques can help reduce neck pain and other symptoms.
- Therapeutic massage can help relax tense muscles.
- Trigger point therapy is used to relieve tight, painful points on a muscle.
Why Choose Goodyear Chiropractic Health Center
Interested in learning more about our neck pain treatment options? Schedule a free consultation with one of our chiropractic specialists today!